People who share my care


Your parents are an important and play a big part in your life and care.


Carers are the people who look after you day to day.  They are ordinary people who look after children and young people who can’t stay with their own families. They do their best to give a family life and home for children and young people.

Sometimes people you already know, such as relatives or family friends, can become your carer.

Social worker

Your social worker will help you settle into your new home.  They will explain how it all works and go through the practical stuff with you.   Talking to adults about private things can be hard, but they won’t judge you, so be as open as you can.  It’s worth remembering:

  • Your safety and happiness is your social worker’s top priority.
  • They’ll stop by regularly to check all is well.
  • Your social worker will listen to how you’re feeling and answer your questions about school, home and life in general.
  • It’s ok to have lots of questions because social workers should have lots of answers!
  • Your social worker will build a relationship based on trust – they will be open and honest with you.
  • You don’t always have to meet your social worker where you live, you can meet somewhere else, it’s up to you. Just call, email or text.

Independent Reviewing Officer (IRO)

Your IRO is in charge of checking that South Gloucestershire is supporting you properly, that your placement is right for you and that you’re happy.  Whereas social workers make day to-day decisions about your care, your IRO will take a second look at the decisions and check they are in your best interests.

  • They’ll work with you to make sure you get what you need.
  • They are good listeners, helpful and will make sure your voice is heard.
  • They want to know your opinions, thoughts and feelings.


Advocates can help you speak out and be heard by the people who are looking after you.  Not every child in care has an advocate. You only have an advocate if you want one – it’s your choice.

  • An advocate is an independent person who stands up for what you want.
  • They will listen to your concerns and try to understand what’s bothering you.
  • They can give you advice about your rights, speak for you at review meetings and help if you’re unhappy with your care.
  • It’s easy to get an advocate, just ask your social worker or foster carer to ring 0800 389 1571 (freephone) or email

Independent visitor

This is an adult who will visit you and take you out to do things that you like to do.

  • They will be a friend that you can have fun with.
  • They will not be linked to the other adults in your life.
  • if you want an independent visitor - just ask your social worker or foster carer to ring 0800 389 1571 (freephone) or email