If things go wrong


The first person you should contact is your personal adviser from the Transition to Independence Team. 

If you are not happy with what they have done to sort things out you can see an advocate who will help you to sort things out.  To get an advocate ring 0800 389 1571 (freephone) or email: yourvoice@reconstruct.co.uk - Click here for more details

If you are still not happy - you can make a complaint. - Click here